The small group of worshipers who would become the Sierra Vista Servants of Christ Church, began with four families and one widow who met to worship in each others homes beginning in January of 2000. The group grew to around twenty and incorporated as a church in May of 2000. The first meeting place outside of private residences was in the SSVEC conference room. The group met there for several months and then became too big for the conference room.
From October of 2000 to February of 2007 the Servants of Christ rented and shared facilities with the Immanuel Lutheran Church. They were very gracious hosts and our Church grew spiritually and in numbers. For our congregation’s first 2 ½ years we had no pastor but were delivered the Word of God by an Elder among us who was very strong in the Bible, Elder Jim Bideaux. Then Pastor Hong-il Lim came from College Station Texas to be our Pastor in August of 2002.
For six years, we grew spiritually through his ministry and through the loving attention of Mrs. Lim and we have watched their three daughters grow up. Grace, Mary and Esther have been our musicians. Their music has brightened our services, filled our hearts, and I am sure, been a blessing to God’s ears.
In 2006, we purchased this building. It was a residence but when we looked at it, we did not see a residence, we saw a church. God has blessed us so much that after the purchase and all the months of renovation we are able to put this building into the service of Jesus Christ our Lord with no lien, no mortgage. We dedicated this building to the service of our Lord, this was also the day on which we installed two devoted ladies as Elderesses in our congregation, we are still filled with joy to this day. We praise God and we lift up glory and honor to his name. We lift our thanks to Him for all the blessings he has poured out upon us.
Our joy is doubled because God has called our Pastor to an even greater ministry then that which he has served with us. God has called him to a church that is in need of his devotion and his selfless service to another flock. Though our hearts will feel sadness at their leaving, we also must feel joy that another congregation of believers will know this Pastor and his family and will receive blessings from God through them.
In late 2008, we were blessed with a new Pastor. His name Pastor Hung Yul Paek. He shepherded our flock for two years until September 2010 when he felt it was time to return to California.
On Easter Sunday, 2011, Pastor Alex Lee became our new shepherd and provided spiritual leadership for seven years. Pastor Lee moved on to another ministry in Chicago, Illinois in August 2018.
On October 11, 2020 Pastor Kevin J. Choi became our new shepherd as he and his family moved here from Kansas City, Missouri.
Our God is truly a loving and merciful God!!
What we believe
The purpose of this church is:
1) to glorify God in the corporate gathering of His people by acceptable worship;
2) the proclamation of free grace in Jesus Christ to sinners;
3) the preaching of the whole counsel of God;
4) the nurture of God’s people through instruction, fellowship, and pastoral care;
5) the function under Jesus Christ our Head as a local assembly of believers, in strict accordance with, and obedience to, every Scriptural directive bearing on the administration of such assemblies.
Synopsis of Beliefs
1. The Bible is the inspired and inerrant Word of God, the only infallible rule of faith and practice.
2. There is one God, eternal and self-existing in three persons - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - who are to be equally loved, honored, and adored.
3. All mankind participated in Adam's fall from his original sinless state, and is, thus, lost in sin and totally helpless.
4. The Sovereign God, for no other reason than His own unfathomable love and mercy, has chosen lost sinners from every nation to be redeemed by the quickening power of the Holy Spirit and through the atoning death and resurrection of His son, Jesus Christ.
5. Those sinners whom the Spirit quickens come to believe in Christ as Savior by the Word of God; are born again; become sons of God; and will persevere to the end.
6. Justification is by faith, and through it the undeserving sinner is clothed with the righteousness of Christ.
7. The goal of God's salvation in the life of the Christian is holiness, good works, and service for the glory of God.
8. At death the Christian's soul passes immediately into the presence of God and the unbeliever's soul is eternally separated from God unto condemnation.
9. Jesus will return to earth, visibly and bodily. at a time when He is not expected, to consummate history and the eternal plan of God.